Friday, August 5, 2011

It's A Video. It's A Blog. It's A Vlog!!!

Hey TV Land!!

Decided to break away from the norm and do a video to document my henna experience. I have been experiencing some trouble with the first half of my video, I dont know why but tis okay because I rambled on and on and on...(get the picture). So I'll give a brief hair background before I let the video document the process. I have been natural for approximately 18 months now and it has been a frustrating journey. Poof (my hair) is very finiky. She does not like a lot of heat, does not care for relaxers, and is always thirsty. Therefore, I have to constantly have some type of moisturizer in my hair or it will look dull and brittle. To help me along this journey, my friends and naturallycurly.com have been excellent resources. I get alot of my hair care recipes from this website and it has proven to be very helpful in what products of choose for my hair. For instance, I have this yogurt hair mask recipe which helps with providing extra curl to the strands that refuse to curl. Also there are recipes for deep conditioning masks. So my hair is kinky...period. The curls are so tight that the strands shrink about 40% from their normal length. My professional picture on facebook shows how long my hair was and that was back in June.

For the henna recipe, it is really simple. I got the henna from this Indian grocer down in Little India. When doing a henna treatment, always go for the original stuff not the kind from the beauty supply store. The box was approximately 300 g, which was a lot of henna!! Lemon juice was my second ingredient and I used a cup. The lemon juice acts as an acid to release the color from the henna powder. To help dilute the lemon juice, I  used 2 cups of water. I rather have more water than lemon juice because I dont want to burn the crap out of my hair. My last ingredient was honey, which attacts moisture to my hair. When the mix is complete, it should have the consistence of cake batter or toothpaste.  Now on to the show!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment