Hi, Everyone!!
Today’s post is about the STEM fields!
STEM is an acronym for “Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics” and these fields are EVERYWHERE!! We are SO intimately tied with these fields that the Dept. of Education is encouraging primary and secondary schools to start to exposing students to STEM at an earlier age, rather than waiting until university for the exposure.
Growing up (not that I’m old), my contact with the STEM fields was limited. Science and math were constants but my technology consisted of learning how to type on the keyboard, working with Microsoft Office, and engineering was non-existent. It wasn't until I started university, where I was exposed to engineering. However by that point, I had already declared my major/minor. Plus, my mom is an engineer and I will admit that I didn't want to do what she did (chemical engineering). But I can't help but wonder if I was exposed to engineering and technology earlier, would I stay on my current track or would I be going into something else.
To aid in earlier STEM exposure to students, the Committee on STEM Education (CoSTEM) was created in 2011 and serves to organize Federal programs and activities that promote STEM education. According to the Dept. of Education, CoSTEM and the Dept. of Education “are facilitating a cohesive national strategy, with new and repurposed funds, to increase the impact of federal investments in five areas: 1.) improving STEM instruction in preschool through 12th grade; 2.) increasing and sustaining public and youth engagement with STEM; 3.) improving the STEM experience for undergraduate students; 4.) better serving groups historically underrepresented in STEM fields; and 5.) designing graduate education for tomorrow's STEM workforce.” So it is clear that there is an effort at the Federal level but what about the State and Local levels?
Here in Texas, we have the “Texas Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Initiative” (T-STEM) which facilitates in the creation and promotion of STEM schools and academies. T-STEM academies offer challenging curriculum to improve students’ performance in science and technology and increase the number of students going into the STEM fields. In order for a school district or a school campus to be designated as a T-STEM academy, they must apply and meet the necessary criteria by the T-STEM Initiative. There are many T-STEM schools across the state and there is a good number here in Houston. So it is obvious that every level of government is making the necessary moves to promote student interest in the STEM fields. Even though we may have to wait for statistics of this push, this push for an increase in STEM degrees is in the right direction.
I know that was a lot of information. I tried to cut it down but as you can see, there is SO MUCH information on STEM fields and its population demographics. As I close this post, I would like to hear from you! If you’re a STEM, what is your field? I would love to hear constructive feedback from you as well! I want this blog to be interactive! If you have questions for me, please feel free to ask. I will answer (disclaimer: within reason.) I hope y'all have a good week!!
Deuces Yo!
Citations
“Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math: Education for Global Leadership”. <www.ed.gov>
“Texas Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Initiative”. < www.tea.texas.gov>

No comments:
Post a Comment