Thursday, April 19, 2012

"The Bull Dog Ride"

Hey TV Land,

I know that this is super late but life caught up with me and as a result, my blog has suffered. I will be catching up on all of my rides tonight since the MS 150 is this weekend!!

The Bulldog ride took place up in Waller and this was the first moderately warm ride of the season. For this ride, I was a bit nervous because I was riding 32 miles, which is the longest that I have ever ridden so far. There was very little wind but it was super sunny! However, there was a tailwind which was a HUGE bonus because it was working with me, not against me. I think in the first 10 miles, my riding average was 15 mph!!! I got to the 1st rest stop in 30 min!!! I munched on some bananas and head out again for the next rest stop. But this time I had a crosswind plus hills. Ugh! It was the longest 15 mi ever!! I think it took me a 1 1/2 hr to get there.  Along the way, I rode with several people who were taking their time with the ride but there was one man who rode to Waller on his bike and after the bike ride, was riding back home on his bike!! That is some serious dedication! When I arrived at the 3rd (and final) rest stop, I made the big mistake...I didn't eat a snack!

Now this may seem minor but this is quite serious. In 1 hr alone, you can burn over 600 calories so you need to eat and drink whenever you stop, not when you are hungry or thirsty. This can be deadly. Our team captains always say "eat when you hungry, drink before you get thirsty." It is very easy to become dehydrated even in cold weather.

When I left the last stop, I only had approx. 8 mi left but my legs started cramping at mile #3, which sucked! The cramping was so bad that I had to disengage from my bike and sit down for 30 minutes while I waited for the cramping to stop. By the time I made it back to the start, my legs were twitching. Aside from that, the ride was great. Sunny, very soft headwind and great riding group.

Next post up: The Bluebonnet Express!



Deuces Yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment