Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"Dr. Deha. Paging Dr. Deha..."



 Hey TV Land,

BREAKING NEWS!!! I GOT ACCEPTED INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! I can take a deep sigh of relief. Let me tell you the story of my acceptance into medical school...its actually a very funny story. =)


It was Friday, August 12. I was still out in California visiting Tyler. Tyler was getting ready to leave to go to some boring class meeting instead of hanging out with me. Poo on him. His only saving grace was the meeting was mandatory so I couldn't stop him. Anyways as he was packing to leave, I was on the phone with my room mate, Jamela, and giving her all the details of my trip so far. Soon, Tyler left and I was still on the phone with Jamela. About 10 minutes later, I got a call on my other line. I placed Jamela on hold so I could answer the phone. On the other line was my enrollment counselor, Cecil. After going through the pleasantries, he asked me if I was sitting down. I said yes, and Cecil delivered the news: I got accepted into American University of the Caribbean Fall 2012 class! Needless to say, I was ecstatic! After saying goodbye and a million "thank you's" to Cecil, I swapped the call to tell Jamela the great news! Of course, she was happy for me and told me to call my mom and family. So I hung up the phone and I just stood in the middle of the floor. The thought "I got into med school" was echoing in my brain, which eventually found its way to my mouth. I was screaming, laughing, running around the apartment, and jumping over furniture!! I received the most awesomest news ever...and Tyler was absent!!! So I moved on to calling my mom.

When I got on the phone with my mom, I was trying to keep from bursting at the seams. I couldn't contain my excitement any longer and literally screamed the news into my mom's ear. Expecting a similar reaction, I was sadly disappointed when my mom relied, "Oh that's wonderful, baby" in her "inside voice". Even though my mom works in an office now, I expected fanfare, shouts, and little bit of bragging from my mom. Instead, I got nothing which made me start crying. Hearing me cry over the phone my mom goes, "whats wrong?" I then explained that I was upset that she didn't feel the same excitement as I and I expected a huge reaction. She replies, "I'm sorry baby but I'm at a doctor's appointment." Understanding why her reaction was subdued, I tried to stop crying. However, I made my mom and I cry in the end because I was relaying the words of encouragement spoken to my by my grandparents and their words of encouragement were fulfilled so it was emotionally. After crying on the phone with my mom for 5 minutes, I called my dad and EJ with the good news. My conversations with them were similar to that of my mom's: told the good news, received praise for my acceptance, cried, whimpering, cried, exchange of words of love, cried some more, and goodbyes. And Tyler was still ABSENT!!!!!

Although Tyler was GONE...I had plans to meet up with my cousin for lunch. The place that we were eating at wasn't far from Tyler's apartment and it was nice catching up my cousin, I hadn't seen her in several years. Of course, I told her the good news (minus the crying) and enjoyed my time with her. Upon my arrival back at the apartment, Tyler was BACK!! I had a huge grin on my face because I couldn't wait to tell him. The following is the conversation between us:
Me: Hey
Tyler: Hey, how was lunch?
Me: Oh it was nice to see my cousin. So, guess what?
Tyler: You got into medical school.
Me: What! How did you know?!

I kid you not, that was the conversation. His reply wasn't a guess...it was a statement! Its almost as if he was listening when I got the call. In celebration, Tyler treated my to a nice dinner at a restaurant near the Promenade, which had good pasta. So that's my news!! I'll give you the low down on the school, which sounds amazing.



American University of the Caribbean is located on the island of St. Maarten. It is approx. 150 miles south of Puerto Rico and is split between the Kingdom of the Netherlands (South) and France (North). AUC is on the Dutch side of the island. The school was established in 1978. The school has graduates practicing in the U.S. and participates in the USMLE exams, which are required for clinicals and residency programs. AUC has residency programs in the U.S. and in the U.K. I have not seen other medical schools that I have applied to offer international residency programs but it possible that some schools offer international residency. The school has matriculation 3 times a year: January, May, and September. Tuition is comparable to some of the schools that I applied to but it is moderately priced. There is on-campus housing but they don't allow pets, as in cats and dogs. So it looks like I'm getting off-campus housing because I am taking Suge with me. For anyone interested: www.aucmed.edu  I am applying to other schools but this is the first one that I heard back from!! There are pictures from a cruise to St. Maarten back in 2007. It is a beautiful island with really blue water. If I decide to go here, I'll be excited to immerse myself in a new culture and environment....and the beaches!!!  I can't wait to start this new chapter of my life next year!!!

Deuces Yo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment