Wednesday, September 15, 2010

2 Years + $25,000 debt+ Associate's Degree= Job; 4 Years + $40,000 debt+ B.S in Biology= No Job....WTF!!!!

Hey TV Land,
This has been a very trying post-grad period. For the past 4 months I have been trying to find a substantial job to at least prep me for the medical school application process. Unfortunately, it has not been a fruitful hunt. It seems that a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING other than Chemistry is not gonna get you anywhere. Now, I'm not bashing chemistry...since it is my minor but COME ON, biology is just as important as chemistry in the job industry. I tried looking into Royal Dutch(Shell), Exxon(Esso), and even BP( shocked music) for their biofuels research. Needless to say, its like searching for the needle in the haystack. Navigating the websites for hours gets tiresome and bothersome. When I found something on the websites, they want a MASTER'S WITH AT LEAST 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE. Umm, FYI: for the past 4 YEARS I WAS GETTING MY BACHELORS!!! I still applied but never heard anything from them. So I moved to the healthcare/ research fields. This is where I started pulling out my hair.

So Houston has one of the largest medical center in all 50 states, with the highest concentration of hospitals. We have Memorial Hermann, MD Anderson, University of Texas/ Texas Children's, Baylor, and maybe a few others. The medical center is HUGE and its somewhat easy to get lost in. However you would think that with the large conc. of hospitals, positions would be available. Well there are but there are certain qualifications that you need. Of course theres the nurses, nurse practitioners, and other patient care professionals. Thats all fine and dandy since these people have to go to nursing school to get their licenses. However for the "simple" positions like medical assistant, medical secretary you wouldnt need a license. WRONG...or at least kinda. You need a certification....which takes 12-18months to get and are somewhat expensive. So in order for me to get this position, I need to go back to school for almost 2 years to get a piece of paper( I know I'm over simplifying...or maybe I'm not...) saying that I'm allowed to do this. You have got to be kidding me. Then the icing on the cake is...with my bachelor's degree I'M OVER QUALIFIED!!! However a person who has an associate's degree is ok and they get the job. SERIOUSLY? I dont think these people understand that I willingly put myself into debt, in hopes to get a decent paying job but I'm being beaten out by someone(if they were my age) who took a shortcut to get their "degree" and job. So while I'm trying to figure out how to pay back my student loan (+ interest), there is someone who doesn't even have a bachelors working in the job that I could have. Once upon a time, associate's degree didnt exist and you had to go get a formal education at a university/college. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place =( What's even worse is what entry-level jobs that are available, people with higher degrees are taking them. So now, I'm really stuck.

I guess all I can do is submit my resume, send up my prayers and hope that God loves me enough to get a nice job while I'm prepping for Fall 2012 medical school matriculation.
Deuces Yo

No comments:

Post a Comment